Valley of the Savara stream. This stream springs from the Grand Etret
glacier and flows for 24 Kms. In to the Dora Baltea: the locals simply
call it "the Dzouëre" (stream).
Valsavarenche was one the last valleys to be reached by man. There
are no prehistoric relics, and no trace of Romans having lived there.
The earliest documents date from 1200 but even in Mediaeval times
this was not a busy valley.
Relative well-being came later from Royal House of Savoias
hunts: houses, roads and paths were constructed. The first car to
trundle up the valley in 1910 was a Lancia. It is a "one-upon-a-time"
valley were traditions continue and anything artificial has difficulty
in taking root. The people live in harmony with the mountains.
Among the Valdostane valleys, Valsavarenche, at 2,494 m. is the
highest. There is a wonderful view of the mountains from upper part,
including the peak of Gran Paradiso, the only 4,000 m. mountain
which is entirely in Italian territory.
Sixteen lakes, with a total of 30 Kmq, peep from the pastures and
glacial basins. The 14 glaciers of the valley cover an area of 12
Kmq and descend in average to 2,800 m.; together with the rocky
ground they cover 73% of the territory.